A beautiful 5 bed traditionally built home set in 32 acres of mature gardens and woodland.
Clients – Ian & Julie Batson
Ian & Julie contacted us to design and build their “forever home”. They had already done several designs but none of which had inspired them or had considered their needs and wishes. Julie required several design features to make the home accessible to her, for then and in the future. Although they wanted a master bedroom on the first floor, they also desired a ground floor suite for them both later in life. Julie’s love of craft and sewing required us to design a space where everything was at hand and could be used efficiently.
On the other hand, Ian required a workshop space and plenty of room in the garage for his hobbies, while also wanting to be as “off grid” as possible. Ian also desired a ground heat source pumps and solar paneling to be self-sufficient. His love for traditional oak timber and hand-crafted workmanship need to be allowed for within the final design. Ian and Julie both wanted a professional company to work with all their ideas and make them a reality. The existing property included 32 acres of woodlands, fields and lakes. The new home not only needed to meet their brief but also needed to blend into its outstanding grounds.
Classified by Waverley council as Countryside and an area of outstanding beauty within the Surrey hills, Ian and Julie’s specifications was a challenge to get approved. After an initial refusal, we were then successful with 3 further separate planning applications, enabling us to build their dream home.
Special Design Features included:
- 5 Bedroom/6 bathroom
- Bespoke oak staircase with Gallery window
- Internal lift
- Handcrafted oak vanity units throughout
- Bespoke bookcases for library area
- Oak Pocket doors
- Sewing studio
- An observatory on the roof to study the stars
- Balcony on landing area
- 4 bay detached garage with underfloor heating and tiled floor
- Electric car charging points
- Hidden solar paneling in roof of garage
- Ground heat source pumps and borehole piles
- Oak retaining walls and beds
- Hand-carved stone fireplaces
- Underfloor heating throughout
- Level thresholds and disable facilities hidden throughout the property and bathrooms
- Handcrafted and bespoke request by client front and side doors
- Bathrooms built as wet rooms with walk-in showers
- Oak kitchen with Aga
- Full video and alarm system throughout the house and grounds